Thursday 27 May 2021

How to Juggle a Career While Living With Psoriatic Arthritis

From prevention.com

Four inspiring women living with PsA share what’s worked for them

Living with a condition like psoriatic arthritis (PsA) means you’ll likely deal with days that are rougher than others—and, when you have a career to manage on top of that, just getting through the day can become a serious challenge.

Psoriatic arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes stiff, painful joints with redness and swelling in the surrounding tissues. People with the condition also often have psoriasis along with it—a chronic skin condition that causes patches of red, irritated skin that are usually covered by flaky white scales. It can make it painful to do something as simple as sit at a desk to work.

About 2.25 million people in the U.S. have psoriatic arthritis, according to the National Psoriasis Foundation, leaving plenty to have to manage the needs of their jobs with the complications of their health. But it’s possible to have psoriatic arthritis and a career. Here’s how these women make it work.

Take breaks, even when you don’t think you need to.

Elizabeth Medeiros was just 14 when she was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Now 24, Medeiros says her symptoms “vary day by day” but often include joint pain, swelling, and stiffness in her hips, spine, jaw, hands, and feet. “I also cope with a lot of fatigue and brain fog,” she says. “Sometimes, it can feel like a never-ending case of the flu.”

Medeiros works as a web designer, and even small tasks like typing an email can be challenging during flares. “I don't have a lot of energy and tire out really easily,” she says. Medeiros says she even finds it hard to do things like sit for longer periods of time, which can lead to joint pain and stiffness.

That’s why she says planning is important. “I'm always planning ahead to make sure I have times to rest during the day and am not overdoing it,” Medeiros says. Her ideal work day has her taking a break and stretching every hour.

Realize when you’ve hit your breaking point.

Ashley Krivohlavek was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis seven years ago. Now 37, Krivohlavek works part-time for a company that does website maintenance.

Some days, she says, her hands become so swollen that using her computer is a struggle. “If I’m having a bad day, I’ll shove a particular task to the next day or when I’m starting to feel a little better,” she says. “I’ll try to do something else.” For example, if she’s having trouble typing, she’ll push off doing invoices and focus instead on making phone calls to customers. “It’s always a trade-off of what I’m trying to get done,” she says.

Krivohlavek says it can be “frustrating” but she’s learned that being more flexible with her daily tasks can make a big difference.

Have a health plan on file.

Katie Roberts, 44, was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis when she was 17. “I can be completely sidelined and need to walk with a cane, with ice packs and heating packs on my body for days on end,” she says.

Several years ago, Roberts created a health plan that she put on file with the human resources department at her marketing job, which details her psoriatic arthritis and a related heart condition, and what to do if something happens to her at work. This, she says, was something she learned about from the Arthritis Foundation. “First responders need to know what medical conditions I have and what medications I’m on to better treat me if something happens at work,” she says. Having a health plan also allows her and her employer to have clear information about Roberts’ health conditions and what to expect from her.

Create a good relationship with your superiors.

Diane Talbert, 63, was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 13 years ago and struggles with symptoms like joint pain, swollen “sausage fingers,” and backaches.

She’s worked for the same mortgage company for years, but at first, Talbert wasn’t open about her condition at the office. But then a co-worker made a comment to her on a Monday during a flare that maybe she shouldn’t drink on weekends. “I don’t even drink, but I looked so rough,” she says.

So, Talbert decided to talk to her boss about her condition and they mutually agreed to a new normal. “I get to take breaks whenever I feel like it. I can just pop my feet up and rest,” she notes. Talbert says she’ll simply message her supervisor to let her know if she’ll be offline for a moment. “I’ll tell them I need to take a 15-minute break,” she says. “She told me I have to put myself first,” Talbert says.

Roberts has also spoken to her boss about her condition. “Not everyone can do this, but I feel safe talking to my supervisor and sharing a little bit about my disease so that she understands when I’m having a hard day with fatigue,” she says, adding, “I can say, ‘I don’t have 100% today’ and ask for patience.” Roberts says she often gets it.

Educate yourself.

Talbert is a member of Creaky Joints, a support, education, advocacy, and research organization for people with arthritis. Learning about her disease through the organization has been vital for her ability to manage her health and career. Back in the day, she remembers, “I didn’t even know what an autoimmune disease was.”

Roberts, who volunteers for the Arthritis Foundation, also says the knowledge she gained through the organization has been invaluable in helping her navigate her career and symptoms. In fact, it was through an Arthritis Foundation hotline that connects patients with social workers that she learned about creating a health plan. “They also gave me tips for how to have the conversation with my supervisor about the days where I'm feeling especially fatigued or the pain level is high,” she says.

Speak up about your needs.

Roberts has learned that some situations can increase her risk of developing a flare or make her symptoms worse. So, she says, she asked for certain tools to help her on the job.

That includes having an ergonomic chair and keyboard, as well as a chair available when she’s working a trade show. “I can’t stand all day,” she says. “That will put me into a flare.”

Medeiros has learned to keep certain things she may need during her workday readily available. “I have a drawer full of helpful items, such as pain-relieving cream, compression gloves, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,” she says.

Work from home, if possible.

Medeiros coordinated with her superiors to get the ability to work from home as much as she needs. She also has flexible hours. “Typically, I go in early and end early,” she says. “This allows me to avoid rush hour on the subway, which can add up to an hour to my commute and makes it impossible to find a seat for the long journey.”

Use your time off strategically.

“I definitely bank sick days,” Medieros says, pointing out that she’s had flares that made it “impossible” to turn her neck or get out of bed. “I try not to use sick time if I don't have to, just in case a flare like that hits again,” she says.

Roberts can commiserate. “I intentionally carry eight days of sick leave year over year so that I can plan for a flare,” she says. “I know the majority of my PTO is going to be used for doctor’s appointments and time off to give my body a rest.”

https://www.prevention.com/health/health-conditions/a36434829/careers-tips-psoriatic-arthritis/


No comments:

Post a Comment