Monday 2 July 2018

Old wives’ remedy helped arthritis pain

From chron.com

Q: Several years ago, I read about a study done at Cardiff University in Wales. The scientists gave patients scheduled for knee-replacement surgery either 1,000 milligrams of cod-liver oil or placebo. The volunteers took these pills for 10 to 12 weeks and then had their surgery.

Samples of cartilage and joint tissue at the time of surgery showed that 86 percent of the patients on cod-liver oil produced less of a cartilage-eroding enzyme or none of it. The pills also reduced levels of other enzymes that cause pain.

I decided to try adding cod-liver oil pills to the glucosamine and chondroitin I was taking already. I marked my calendar, as I'd decided that if I had no reduction in pain in 10 to 12 weeks, I'd discontinue the cod-liver oil. My pain was so bad that it would wake me from a sound sleep every night, and I would be up for hours. Nothing helped. I felt it was just a matter of time until I would need to have the knee replaced.

One morning, I realized that I had slept through the night with no pain! I checked the calendar and discovered that it had been only 21 days since I started the cod-liver oil.

I have recommended this to many people who have gotten the same wonderful results. I wonder how many knee-replacement surgeries could be avoided if people tried taking cod-liver oil first.

A: Thank you for alerting us to an interesting, though small, study. It included 31 people and was presented at the Third Congress of the European Federation for the Science and Technology of Lipids.
Many doctors perceive the use of cod-liver oil for joint pain as an old wives' tale. It is a shame that there has not been more research to investigate the potential benefits of cod-liver oil for osteoarthritis. Anyone who is interested in nondrug approaches to easing joint pain may be interested in our online electronic resource, “Alternatives for Arthritis.” Links to the product may be found at peoplespharmacy.com.

https://www.chron.com/life/article/Old-wives-remedy-helped-arthritis-pain-13038316.php

No comments:

Post a Comment